Pages

Friday, August 4, 2017

Giving Madelyn a Voice

Over the past year, I feel that I have been given a platform and duty to give Maddie, and kids like her, a voice.  As I shared one year ago, I was asked to write an article for Minnesota Epilepsy Group and Children's Hospital of MN.  This was a wonderful opportunity.  In January 2017, we were approached by Children's Miracle Network as Madelyn was asked to be a hero and brand ambassador for the next year.  Again, this was such a gift to our family.  Last week, I was extremely honored and surprised to be asked by Ron Kind's office if I would speak at a press conference with him regarding healthcare accessibility and affordability, as it pertains to children with special medical needs.  Needless to say, I was shocked.

We've done a few CMN events so far, and I have to say that I leave each event feeling more empowered than the last.  I give our family's speech in front of the 100 or so people at said banquet, and I feel supported.  I am becoming more and more comfortable sharing Madelyn's story.  And, I am also seeing the good that comes from it.  There is such a need for people with disabilities to be better understood, to be included, and to be supported in society.  After each speech, I have had community members approach me thanking me for sharing our story, and more importantly, thanking me for the greater understanding that they now have.  I can literally feel people's compassion and acceptance grow in that room.

Thank goodness I had had these positive CMN experiences as my foundation to public speaking.  When a congressman asks you to speak at a press conference, you don't say no.  :)

Below is the 23 minute, unedited press conference.  I speak from 7:10-10:08 if you want to skip ahead.



I am so thankful for these opportunities, and I look forward to what is it to come.  I'm confident that this won't be the last time I climb my platform and give Madelyn a voice.  

Thank you for watching!

1 comment:

  1. This was awesome! I watched the entire conference and was certainly enlightened. Great job Sarah and Maddie!

    ReplyDelete